Wednesday, November 14, 2012
I begin to assembly the figures. I super glued using Zap & Loctite products, the Pilum (javelin) into the hands of the standing men. And used poster sticky tac and large arts & crafts wooden sticks for handling them during the assembly and painting process.
I sprayed the minis (after washing them in warm water and with some dish soap) with P3's excellent Black Primer spray paint. The primer goes on super nice and isn't too thick - a nice fine spray. I let them dry overnight.
Tuesday, November 13, 2012
I opened the first package of soldiers. Aventine's UD-44 16x standing soldiers with Pilums. As you can see some assembly will be required. Thinking Loctite gel super glue will work. First, I'll wash the figures with warm water and Dawn. Next will be removing any "flash" from the molding process. Although, I have to say Aventine has very little "flash" cleaning required - which I think is really great.
I intend on priming the figures with Pirate Press's P3 Black Primer. Armor painted first, then Flesh will go on next. Then red for garments and silver highlights for the armor. The plan is to use primarily P3's line of great acrylics. The shields I will prime with white (with cheap Krylon white primer) - then paint the backs a wooden brown and then apply the shield decals and paint the rim and boss. I intend to also wash "dip" them in Army Painter's Strong Tone Dip Wash once painted and sealed. Finish with matt varnish.
A summary of my planned painting process: Step 1. Prime, Step 2. Paint, Step 3. Intial Deep Paint Wash & Dry brushing, Step 4. Gloss Poly Coat, Step 5. Army Painter Dip, Step 6. Dry brush highlights/Touchups, Step 7. Base minis and then Matte Poly Varnish
Friday, November 2, 2012
A closeup of the armor dry-brushing process. I used multiple layers of P3 Pig Iron (base), Cold Steel and then Quick Silver to highlight.
A closeup of the painting prior to the "dipping" into Army Painter's Strong Tone dip. I sprayed the figure with clear Poly varnish beforehand to seal it.
Here is the beginning of the basing process. I will have some minor touch-ups to do and then I will matte varnish the entire figure and base.
I began painting my metal 54mm Centurion I recently purchased off eBay I figured this would give me a chance to practice and shake the rust off my painting technique and figure out the best techniques overall for the 28mm minis. After priming with P3 Black Primer, I began dry brushing P3 Pig Iron and Quick Silver on to the figure's armor.