Saturday, February 23, 2013

Cavalry (part 2)


As I finish up 4 more cavalry, I have some pictures of the process.  Once the minis are painted, I spray with a gloss varnish to seal them.  I allow the varnish to dry for 3-4 hours.  Then I apply the Army Painter Dip.  I apply with a brush and then wash repeatedly with solvent to achieve the desired outcome.  This also ensures the dip flows into the creases.  The Dip takes a long while to dry and the tone of the dip fades a little as it does, which I like.  Then I glue to the Litko base and apply the ground plaster.  I use a mix of white PVA glue and matt medium and spread it with an old brush.  I apply super fine grit and then re-do any areas where the glue was too thin to hold the grit firmly after I tap the bottom.  After the grit I "paint" on glue and tweezer on static grass, tuffs and stones. 





Once all the glue dries I will apply a good coat of matt varnish or Testor's Dull Cote to remove all the "shine" and seal the static grass some (this prevents more from shaking loose later when the minis are being handled).  The base ground cover products are from Gale Force 9, Silfor and Army Painter; they are what I use exclusively.

No comments:

Post a Comment